I was expecting great things this year in terms of fashion at the Academy Awards, due to most of the red carpet events being canceled this year because of the writer’s strike. I was hoping for Old Hollywood glamour, classic beauty, new trends done well, and just that good old “WOW” factor.
I was not disappointed. I think most of the fashions were just gorgeous. I had a lot of fun watching the show this year. I knew immediately who my Worst Dressed was, and struggled with Best Dressed. I also loved the pregnant mommy’s-to-be looks, and have added two new categories this year- Best & Worst Dressed Couples. Last year I provided links where you could look at the fashions themselves, but I have deicded to go all out, and post the actual pictures right here.
So without further delay, here is A Mama’s Blog Academy Award Fashion Review for 2008:
I really went back and forth on this one. After seeing my final two walk across the stage in their beautiful gowns, and reviewing several pictures of them at different angles, I still can’t make up my mind. How great is that, when there are just two simply gorgeous and radiant actresses (one is a new mom) in their gowns, one just can’t pick an overall favorite. I enjoyed both of these dresses so much and both of their presentations, and I can’t seem to find a single flaw with either of them. So, I have decided not to have to decide- it is a tie- both of these are my best dressed this year.
Kerri Russel – She had that WOW factor and then some! When she walked out to present, she just glowed. She looked stunning in her champagne organza dress. Not to mention her stunning 46-carat diamond necklace, accessorised with her gown perfectly. Top that off with the fact that she gave birth to her first child last June- 8 months ago. Oh, if only the rest of us mommy’s could look this fabulous less than a year giving birth. Kerri Russel hit it out of the ball park this year.
Hillary Swank– She always looks great, but she too, had that WOW factor. Her Versace black gown was breathtaking. It highlighted her body the way a dress should, and I loved how it was a classic but elegant dress, with some fun playful features too. I just adored the shoulder strap. It looked like a little butterfly or a flower on her shoulder, tastefully done of course. I don’t think she could have radiated Old Hollywood glamour any more than she did tonight. It was great!
HONORABLE MENTION-BEST DRESSED
1. My number one honorable mention pick goes to Rene Zillwegger. Her Carolina Herrera silver gown, is stunning. I love the pretty flower on it, and the slit in the front. It is classic, sexy, and elegant all at the same time. It is the perfect dress for Rene. What more can I say?
2. Nicole Kidman– The mommy-to-be- was exquisite in her Balenciaga black gown. But the true show stopper for her, besides her baby bump (more on that later) was her 1,399 carat diamond necklace. Oh my God! What a stunning necklace, and Nicole pulls the look off magnificently. Nicole made my Best Dressed list last year at number 4, so she has moved up two places this year. At this rate, she’ll be number one next year! Honestly, she is four or five months pregnant, and still can wear anything. She would make a burlap sack glamorous.
3. Laura Linney– If you looked up “Classic but Elegant” in the dictionary, you would see this picture of Laura Linney in her Oscar gown this year:
What isn’t there to like about this entire look? Love her hair, LOVE her necklace, LOVE her Michael Kors silk bustle back gown, Love her bracelet, love her bag, and love her shoes. This is a wonderful look for Laura. Whomever her stylist was, she should give them a bonus!
4. Andrienne Frantz– I admit until tonight, I had never heard of Andrienne. Where has she been hiding? Her gold dress is just lovely. The train is to die for. She looks like she is having fun, with her smile. It seems like so many actress strike a pose, but Andrienne here looks like she is just being herself, and enjoying it. I hope we see more of Andrienne in the future.
5. Katherine Heigl– I was debating this final spot between Heidi Klum and Katherine Heigl. They both look red hot in their red dresses- Katherine in a silk crimson Escada gown, and Heidi in a Haute Couture red silk taffeta by John Galliano, (which will be auctioned off for charity.) I didn’t really like Katherine’s make-up. In most of the pictures it looks like she went to heavy on the bronzer and looks kind of orange. On the other hand, I didn’t like the wrap on Heidi’s dress, and I hated her pink dangle earrings. They just didn’t go with the dress. Both had awesome hair though. In the end I liked Katherine’s overall Old Hollywood glamour look more, and I love to see what she wears. I am just a bit disappointed in her dress selection though. Katherine has been nothing short of perfection on all her red carpet appearances, and I was expecting that ultimate WOW factor from her. She is still on the mark though, and you can’t hit it out of the park every time right?
I knew the moment I saw it-black, hideous, bat, Hefty garbage bag, curtain, awful. These were just a few of the words that came to mind when I saw Best Supporting Actress winner, Tilda Swinton’s dress. One side was bare off the shoulder, the other side was a full sleeve, that flapped like a bat’s wing. The rest of the dress looked like an old stage curtain had been ripped down, and sewn loosely around her body. It was shiny too, like a garbage bag. It was the ugliest dress I have ever seen. What makes it worse, is I think Tilda is gorgeous. She clearly is a non-conformer and with those piercing green eyes, and red hair, (she’s Scottish), she could have done so, so, much better. With Tilda’s red hair, green eyes- she has been blessed already with a wonderful gift from the gene pool, and she just blows it on her “bat dress.” Was I the only one who thought it was ironic that she mentioned Batman to George Clooney (her co-star), in her acceptance speech? Maybe she did have a bat theme in mind, when selecting this dress. Take this dress right to the bat cave, and don’t let it out Tilda!
HONORABLE MENTION- WORST DRESSED
1. Julie Christie– I hardly know where to start- I guess the dreadful burgundy dress is a start. Again, the word “curtain” comes to mind. Or it looks like her 150 pound dog slept on it, hence all the wrinkles. Oh, are those supposed to be there? Can someone explain what is up with the light pink gloves with the thumbs cut out of them? Did she need the thumbs cut out so she could hitchhike to the Oscar’s? Is there another explanation? In a terrible attempt to “accessorize,” the light pink shoes, that match the light pink gloves just scream “tacky.” This entire outfit is just horrid. Please bury it when you get home, and bury it deep, so it never resurfaces.
2. Sissy Spacek– This outfit looks like Sissy is having an identity crisis. Is she trying to be a high powered business woman, or go for a feminine look with a long skirt? The combination of both results in a hideous ensemble. Her hair is terrible too, with her bangs hiding her face, and making her look old enough and somewhat like Hillary Clinton’s grandmother. At least she isn’t wearing gloves with the thumbs missing.
3. Marion Cotillard– Did Marion mistake the Academy Awards, where she was nominated and won for Best Actress, with an opening at an aquarium? Perhaps she thought she was going to see Little Mermaid on Broadway. Something is “fishy” in this custom-made Jean Paul Gaultier gown. When you are nominated for Best Actress, I don’t understand why you would turn up wearing a dress that reminds everyone of fish. Marion’s hair, make-up and jewelry is stunning, but unfortunately they aren’t enough to distract us from the fact that she looks like a mermaid at best, ready to dive into the water, and swim away- fish scales and all.
4. Cameron Diaz– Here is what I wrote last year about Cameron’s dress, when she was number 3 on my Worst list: “This dress screams, “80’s!” I hate the angled flaps across her chest- it looks like a bad bride’s maid dress.” I can revise that this year to: This dress (by Dior) screams, “80’s!” I hate the angled flaps across her hips– it looks like a bad bride’s maid dress.” Cameron sweetie, lose the flaps on your dresses! They are repulsive. Does she have a thing for bats too? Seriously, flaps two years in a row is way too much! It seems like the flaps are moving down though- last year they were across her chest, this year on her hips, maybe next year they will be around her legs, and then finally by the 2010 Academy Awards, her gown will be “flap free.”
5. Jennifer Hudson– Again, we have a repeat offender from last year. Last year she was number 2, so at least she is moving in the right direction. Her white snake-skin trimmed dress just doesn’t pull it off. I also hate the side bare skin that peeps through the snake-skin waist. It looks like she got in a fight with a python and won. Jennifer also looks like she is dire need of a bra that can support the girls properly, instead of letting the
dead python skin waist band do the work. Hopefully by next year, she will have worked out the kinks or gets a new stylist, and while I doubt she’ll be on the Best Dressed list, perhaps she will finally work her way off of the Worst Dressed one.
BEST DRESSED COUPLE
Patrick Dempsey (McDreamy) & Jillian Fink– Without a doubt, this was the best dressed couple of the night. I love his tuxedo- he just looks so handsome, and her dress is perfect. Jillian is a new mommy too, having had twin boys, just over a year ago. I love how her black evening bag accessorizes with his tux. Hopefully we’ll see lots more of this elegant and stylish couple on the red carpet.
WORST DRESSED COUPLE
Daniel Day Lewis & Rebecca Miller– After seeing the striking fashion couple, of Patrick and Jillian, these two look horrendous, and frightening. Daniel’s brown shoes just top off his unstylish tuxedo, and Rebecca’s dress- well I think the dress speaks for itself. It is right up there with one of the all-time ugliest dresses. Those red bows look like they came off a Christmas tree. Rebecca’s shoes are ghastly with her dress. Has this couple ever heard of a wonderful place called Nordstrom’s shoe department? When you are up for Best Actor, it is time to go all out. These two need to find a stylist fast, or fire the one they have.
The Rock. In this case, I’ll let the picture speak a thousand words.
Since this is A Mama’s Blog, I have to include the pictures of the actresses who are pregnant and showed off their baby bumps. Since Nicole Kidman made my Best Dressed List, it goes without saying that I think her dress was the best. I loved Jessica Alba’s too. I didn’t like the accessories on Cate Blanchet’s dress, and thought her dress would have been great had she accessorised better. But they all were glowing, and being pregnant is hard. I couldn’t imagine trying to look glamorous too, especially for Cate, who was a double nominee. These actresses did all of us mommies proud.
That concludes the review for 2008. I hoped you enjoyed my review. Let me know what you think- did I miss someone who you thought was best/worst dressed? Once again, I can’t wait until next year.